Transmission, Scanning Electron and Freeze Fracture/Deep Etch Microscopy
Research Specialist, WUCCI
As a Research Specialist in the WUCCI, Greg’s primary responsibility is the preparation of cell and tissue samples for imaging using freeze fracture/deep etch techniques as well as transmission and scanning electron microscopy methods. His background also includes experience with various freezing methods, cryo TEM imaging, freeze substitution, immunolabeling, serial section reconstructions, as well as high resolution TEM/STEM imaging.
Greg has over 30 years of electron microscope experience in multi-user facilities. His introduction into microscopy began as an undergraduate student working on independent research projects identifying algae using classic light microscopy techniques. He quickly moved to EM having formal instruction in Optics, Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM), and Scanning Electron microscopy (SEM) as a graduate student at the University of Oklahoma. Following graduate studies he joined the Samuel Roberts Noble Microscopy facility as a research scientist where he worked on developing the use of freezing techniques, freeze fracture, cryo-TEM and SEM imaging at the laboratory. With the acquisition of two high resolution 200kV TEM microscopes Greg began to work with materials samples and added high resolution TEM imaging and related materials sample imaging and preparation techniques to the capabilities of the laboratory.
- M.S. in Plant Biology, University of Oklahoma, OK, USA
- B.S. in Biology, Louisiana State University, Shreveport, LA, USA
- Zhenzhen Qiao, Laurent Brechenmacher, Benjamin Smith, Gregory W. Strout, William Mangin, Christopher Taylor, Scott D. Russell, Gary Stacey and Marc Libault. GmFWL1, a regulator of Glycine max nodulation, encodes a plasma membrane microdomain-associated protein. 2017. Plant Cell & Environment, Feb. 2017. DOI: 10.1111/pce.12941
- Lupia, R, G Strout, P Larson. 2015. Morphology and ultrastructure or the Permian taeniate pollen genera Hamiapollenites and Vittatina. Geological Society of America Meeting, November, 2015 in Baltimore, Md.
- Binbin Weng, Jijun Qiu, Zijian Yuan, Preston R. Larson, Gregory W. Strout, and Zhisheng Shi. 2014. Responsivity enhancement of mid-infrared PbSe detectors using CaF2 nano-structured antireflection coatings. Applied Physics Letters 104: 021109.
- Strout G, Russell SD, Pulsifer DP, Erten S, Lakhtakia A, Lee DW. 2013. Silica nanoparticles aid in structural leaf coloration in the Malaysian tropical rainforest understorey herb Mapania caudata. Annals of Botany 112: 1141-1148
- Jones, D.S., J.M. Chesnut, B.E. Smith, G. Strout, and S.D. Russell. 2013. Three-dimensional visualization of the rice male gametophyte using confocal laser scanning microscopy. Oklahoma Microscopy Society Newsleter 35 No.2: 13.
- Libault M, Z Qiao, L Brechenmacher, GW Strout, C Jones, SD Russell, G Stacey. 2013. GmFWL1, a regulator of soybean nodulation, encodes a membrane raft-associated protein. 22nd North American Conference on Symbiotic Nitrogen Fixation, July 14-17, 2013 at the Hubert Humphrey Conference Center at the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MiN
- Ge LL, XP Gou, T Yuan, GW Strout, J Nakashima, EB Blancaflor, HQ Tian, SD Russell. 2010. “Sperm cell behavior during pollen tube elongation in Arabidopsis thaliana: Transport, maturation and male germ unit dissociation.” Oklahoma Microscopy Society Bulletin 31(2): 21.
- Strout GW; SD Russell, D Lee. 2009. “Ultrastructual basis of blue interference color in leaves of Mapania caudata, a Malaysian tropical rainforest understory herb.” Annual Meetings of Botanical Society of America/Mycological Society of America, Botany/Mycology 2009, 25-29 July 2009, Snowbird Resort and Conference Center, Snowbird, UT, Abs 931
- Strout GW, E Vaughn, S Mishina, T Mashima, M Johnson, M Curtis, PR Larson, J Keay, SD Russell. 2007. “Stalking the Silicon Dumbbell: Challenges of Installing a High Resolution 200KV FEG Electron Microscope” Oklahoma Microscopy Society Bulletin 29(2): 26.
- Reches, Z. Mishima, T.D., Strout, G., Lockner, D.A., Hamilton, M., Heesakkers, V. 2007. Gouge Powder from Earthquakes Rupture-zones and Laboratory Rupture Experiments: Sub-microscopic Observations and Particle Size Distribution. American Geophysical Union, Fall Meeting 2007, abstract #T11A-0338.
- Russell SD, Strout GW. 2005. Development, polarization and morphogenesis of the generative and sperm cells of Plumbago zeylanica. 2. Quantitative cytology and organelle dynamics. Sexual Plant Reproduction 18: 113-130.