James A.J. Fitzpatrick, Ph.D.
Scientific Director, WUCCI
Professor, Departments of Neuroscience, Cell Biology & Physiology and Biomedical Engineering
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel: +1 (314) 747-0838
James Fitzpatrick, Ph.D., joined the School of Medicine on June 1st 2015 as the inaugural Scientific Director of the Washington University Center for Cellular Imaging (WUCCI) and as an Associate Professor of Neuroscience and Cell Biology & Physiology. He was promoted to Full Professor in 2019. Prior to his relocation to Washington University, he was Senior Director of Biophotonics and Strategic Technology Initiatives at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies in La Jolla, CA.
Dr. Fitzpatrick completed his undergraduate studies in Chemistry at Kings College, London and undertook graduate training in optical physics at the University of Bristol also in the United Kingdom. During his Ph.D. he designed and developed a novel injection seeded optical parametric oscillator (OPO) laser system for the study of nuclear hyperfine structure in the excited electronic states of gas phase free radical species. After completing his doctorate at the University of Bristol, he moved to the United States as a post-doctoral fellow at the University of Pittsburgh in Pennsylvania. There he shifted his focus to study biological molecules such as peptide mimics and their micro-solvated clusters in the gas-phase using high-resolution fluorescence spectroscopy. In his second post-doc at Carnegie Mellon University, also in Pittsburgh, he spent his time studying protein-protein interactions using tools such as fluorescence microscopy and fluorescence correlation spectroscopy (FCS). After completing his post-doctoral training, he joined the Carnegie Mellon National Technology Center for Networks and Pathways, an NIH funded Roadmap initiative whose mandate was to develop fluorescent probe and imaging informatics technologies to study networks and pathways in living cells.
Dr. Fitzpatrick’s primary research interests lie in the integration and application of multi-scale optical and charged particle imaging technologies — specifically, biological applications of ion microscopy, development of correlative 3D light and electron microscopy approaches, and new computational tools to visualize and manipulate large-scale multi-dimensional datasets.
- B.Sc. in Chemistry, King’s College London, U.K.
- Ph.D. in Optical Physics, Laser Spectroscopy and Dynamics Group, University of Bristol, U.K.
- NSF Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Pittsburgh, PA, USA
- NIH Postdoctoral Fellow, Carnegie Mellon University, PA USA
Awards, Honors & Academic Memberships
- Biological Symposium Organizer – M&M 2017, St. Louis, MO (2019)
- Biological Symposium Organizer – M&M 2017, St. Louis, MO (2017)
- Scientific Organizing Committee Member – Cyto2017, Boston MA (2017)
- Editor, ChemPhysChem Special Issue – Super-resolution Imaging and Nanophotonics (2013)
- Associate Review Editor, Frontiers in Genomic Assay Technology (2011 – present)
- Member of NIH Review Panel – Accelerating the Translation of Glycoscience (IMST), 2016
- Member of NIH Review Panel – Innovative Molecular Analysis Technologies (IMAT), 2016
- Member of NIH Review Panel – Enabling Bioanalytical & Imaging Technologies (EBIT), 2012 – present
- Member of NIH Review Panel – Shared Instrumentation Grants (SIG), 2009 – present
- Member of the Microscopy Society of America, 2009 – present
- Long-term quantum dot research featured in Chemical & Engineering News (2009)
- Cholera-toxin-B quantum dot research featured in Nature Nanotechnology (2008)
- FAP imaging technology featured in Nature Biotechnology (2008)
- C. Shih, D.M. Oakley, M.S. Joens, R.A. Roth and J.A.J. Fitzpatrick. 2017. Chapter 3: Non-Linear Optical Imaging of Extracellular Matrix Proteins. Methods in Cell Biology. In press.
- M. Ross, A. Esser, G. Fox, A. Schmieder, X. Yang, G. Hu, D. Pan, X. Su, Y. Xu, D. Novack, T. Walsh, G. Colditz, G. Lukaszewicz, E. Cordell, J. Novack, J.A.J. Fitzpatrick, D. Waning, K. Mohammad, T. Guise, G. Lanza, and K. Weilbaecher. 2017. Bone-induced expression of integrin β3 enables targeted nanotherapy of breast cancer metastases. Cancer Research. In press.
- J.N. Walker, A.L. Flores-Mireles, C.L. Pinker, H.L Schreiber, M.S. Joens, A.M. Park, A.M. Potretzke, J.S. Pinker, J.A.J. Fitzpatrick, A.Desai, M.G. Caparon and S.J. Hultgren. 2017. Catheterization alters the bladder ecology to potentiate Staphylococcus aureus infection of the urinary tract. PNAS. In press.
- H.G. Lo, R.U. Jin, G. Sibbel, D. Liu, A. Karki, M.S. Joens, Blair B. Madison, B. Zhang, V. Blanc, J.A.J. Fitzpatrick, N.O. Davidson, S.F. Konieczny and J.C. Mills. 2016. A single transcription factor is sufficient to induce and maintain secretory cell architecture. Genes and Development. 31 (2), 154-171
- J.D. Woodson, M.S. Joens, A.B. Sinson, J.Gilkerson, P.A. Salone, D. Weigel, J.A.J. Fitzpatrick and J. Chory. 2015. Ubiquitin facilitates a quality control pathway that removes damaged chloroplasts. Science. 350(6259), 450-454.
- B.E. Kerman, H.J. Kim, A. Mei, K. Padmanabhan, S. Georges, M.S. Joens, J.A. J. Fitzpatrick, R. Jappelli, K.J. Chandross, P.August, and F.H. Gage. 2015. In vitro myelin formation using embryonic stem cells. Development. 142(12): 2213-25.
- A.J. Calhoun, A. Tong, N. Pokala, J.A.J Fitzpatrick, T.O. Sharpee and S.H. Chalasani. 2015. Neural Mechanisms for evaluating environemtal variability in Caenorhabditis elegans. Neuron. 86, 1-14, April 22, 2015
- M.W. Adams, A.F. Loftus, S.E. Dunn, M.S. Joens and J.A.J. Fitzpatrick. 2015. Invited Chapter on “Light-Sheet Fluorescence Microscopy”. Current Protocols in Cytometry. 71:12.37.1-12.37.15.
- H. Contreras, M.S. Joens, L.M. McMath, V.P. Le, M.V. Tullius, J.M. Kimmey, N. Bionghi, M.A. Horwitz, J.A.J. Fitzpatrick and C.W. Goulding. 2014. Characterization of a Mycobacterium tuberculosis nanocompartment and its potential cargo proteins. Journal of Biological Chemistry, May 22 pii: jbc.M114.570119.
- M.S. Joens, C. Huynh, J.M. Kasuboski, D. Ferranti, Y.J. Sigal, F. Zeitvogel, M. Obst, C.J. Burkhardt, K.P. Curran, S.H. Chalasani, L.A. Stern, B. Goetze and J.A.J. Fitzpatrick. 2013. Helium Ion Microscopy (HIM) for the imaging of biological samples at sub-nanometer resolution. Scientific Reports, 3, 3514.
- Y.S. Hu, Q. Zhu, K. Elkins, K. Tse, Y. Li, J.A.J. Fitzpatrick, I.M. Verma and H. Cang. 2013. Light-sheet Bayesian microscopy enables deep-cell super-resolution imaging of heterochromatin in live human embryonic stem cells. Optical Nanoscopy, 2:7.
- Y.H. Chien, M.E. Werner, J. Stubbs, M.S. Joens, J. Li, S. Chien, J.A.J. Fitzpatrick, B.J. Mitchell and C. Kintner. 2013. Bbof1 is required to maintain cilia orientation. Development. Aug;140(16):3468-77.
- L. Crabbe, A.J. Cesare, J.M. Kasuboski, J.A.J. Fitzpatrick, and J. Karlseder. 2012. Human telomeres are tethered to the nuclear envelope during postmitotic nuclear assembly. Cell Reports. Dec 27;2(6):1521-9.
- H. D. Ou, W Kwiatkowski, T Deerinck, A Noske, K.Y. Blain, H Land, C Soria, C.J. Powers, X Shu, R Tsien, J.A.J. Fitzpatrick, J.A. Long, M.H. Ellisman, S Choe and C.C. O’Shea. 2012. Structure of E4-ORF3 reveals a viral supramolecular assembly that inactivates multiple tumor suppressors. Cell. Oct 12; 151(2):304-19.
- J.M. Kasuboski, Y.J. Sigal, M.S. Joens, B.F. Lillemeier and J.A.J. Fitzpatrick. 2012. Invited Chapter on “Super-Resolution Microscopy: a comparative treatment” Current Protocols in Cytometry. Oct; Chapter 2: Unit 2.17.
- M. Hatori, C. Vollmers, A. Zarrinpar, L. Ditacchio, E.A. Bushong, S. Gill, M. Leblanc, A. Chaix, M.S. Joens, J.A.J. Fitzpatrick, M.H. Ellisman and S. Panda. 2012. Time-restricted feeding without reducing caloric intake prevents metabolic diseases in mice fed a high-fat diet. Cell Metabolism. Jun 6; 15(6):848-60.
- S. Shruti, J. Urban-Ciecko, J.A.J. Fitzpatrick, R. Brenner, M.P. Bruches and A.L. Barth. 2012. The Brain- Specific Beta4 Subunit Downregulates BK Channel Cell Surface Expression. PLoS One. 7(3) e33429.
- M.T. Hayashi, A.J. Cesare, J.A.J. Fitzpatrick, E. Lazzerini-Denchi and J. Karlseder. 2012. A Telomere-Dependent DNA Damage Checkpoint induced by Prolonged Mitotic Arrest. Nature Structural and Molecular Biology, 11(19) 387-94.
- J.A.J. Fitzpatrick and B.L. Lillemeier. 2011. Fluorescence Correlation Spectroscopy: Linking Molecular Dynamics to Biological Function in vitro and in situ. Current Opinion in Structural Biology, 21(5) 650-60.
- D.F. Egan, D.B. Shackelford, M.M. Mihaylova, S.R. Gelino, R.A. Kohnz, W Mair, D.S. Vasquez, A Joshi, D.M. Gwinn, R Taylor, J.M. Asara, J.A.J. Fitzpatrick, A Dillin, B Viollet, M Kundu, M Hansen, and R.J. Shaw. 2011. Phosphorylation of ULK1 (hATG1) by AMP-activated protein kinase connects energy sensing to mitophagy. Science, 331(6016) 456-461.
- K. Padmanabhan, Shane E. Andrews and J.A.J. Fitzpatrick. 2010. Invited Chapter on “Mutli-Photon Imaging” Current Protocols in Cytometry, 2.9.1-2.9.12.
- C.S. Szent-Gyorgyi, B.F. Schmidt, J.A.J. Fitzpatrick and M.P. Bruchez. 2010. Fluorogenic dendrons with multiple donor chromophores as bright genetically targeted and activated probes. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 132(32):11103-9.
- E. Fishilevich, J.A.J. Fitzpatrick and J.S. Minden. 2010. pHMA, a pH-sensitive GFP reporter for cell engulfment, in Drosophila embryos, tissues, and cells. Developmental Dynamics, 239(2), 559-573.
- S. Shenoy, R. Moldovan, J.A.J. Fitzpatrick, M. Deserno and M. Lösche. 2010. In-plane homogeneity and lipid dynamics in tethered bilayer lipid membranes (tBLMs). Softmatter, 6,1263-1274.
- J.A.J. Fitzpatrick, S.K. Andreko, L.A. Ernst, A.S. Waggoner, B. Ballou and M.P. Bruchez. 2009. Long-term persistence and spectral blue shifting of quantum dots in vivo. Nano Letters, 9(7), 2736–2741. Highlighted in Chemical and Engineering News, June 2009.
- J.A.J. Fitzpatrick, Q. Yan, J.J. Sieber, M. Dyba, C. Szent-Gyorgyi, A.S. Waggoner and M.P. Bruchez. 2009. STED nanoscopy in living cells using fluorogen activating proteins. Bioconjugate Chemistry, 20(10), 1843-1847.
- M.M. Witzberger, J.A.J. Fitzpatrick, J.C. Crowley and J.S. Minden. 2008. End-on Imaging: A new perspective on dorsoventral development in drosophila embryos. Developmental Dynamics, 237(11), 3252-3259, PMID: 18855896.
- C. Szent-Gyorgyi, B.F. Schmidt, Y. Creeger, G. Fisher, K. Zakel, S. Adler, J.A.J. Fitzpatrick, C. Woolford, Q. Yan, K. Vasilev, P. Berget, M.P. Bruchez, J. Jarvik, A.S. Waggoner. 2008. Fluorogen-activating single-chain antibodies for imaging cell surface proteins. Nature Biotechnology, 26(2), 235-249, PMID: 18157118. Featured article in issue.
- S.K. Chakraborty, J.A.J. Fitzpatrick, J.A. Phillippi, S. Andreko, M.P. Bruchez and B. Ballou. 2007. Choleratoxin B conjugated quantum dots for live cell labeling. Nano Letters, 7(9), 2618-2626, PMID: 17663586. Highlighted in Nature Nanotechnology Sept 2008.